Monday, February 27, 2006

My plans for tonight

1. Go home
2. Eat dinner with Cary
3. Go see Caleb
4. Feed Caleb from a bottle
5. Go home
6. Sleep

That's right, Caleb is now trying the bottle. He gets to try a bottle 1 or 2 times a day. His first try Sunday morning, he didn't suck hard enough to get any milk out. Then he gagged. His second try Monday morning, he got milk out, but didn't know what to after that. Then he choked and had a little episode. Tonight, I get to feed him! This will be the first time I get to feed him with a bottle! I'll have the nurse take pictures.

He is now on the nasal cannula all the time.

Here is what he has left to do to come home:
1. eat full feeds (he needs to be at 90 ccs each feeding)
2. suck, shallow, and breathe while feeding from a bottle
3. hearing test
4. car seat test
5. figure out what they will do about his head
6. other stuff I don't know about that I'm sure I will find out about soon!




Oh - Caleb now weighs about 3,000 tons (9 pounds, 15.4 ounces).


Update!

Caleb drank about 5 ccs from his bottle last night! He is getting 80ccs of formula (by a feeding tube) every 4 hours (just 10 away from full feeds). The nurse gave him his bottle last night. I have a feeling the next few feeds the nurses will probably give him. After he catches on to the bottle thing, I will be able to start feeding him.

He is on the road home. It could be weeks or it could be months, but he is on his way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Caleb's plans for tonight:
1) Eat for Mommy
2) Burp for Mommy
3) Poop for Mommy
4) Smile at Mommy

Repeat as needed. :o)

Lucy Henry said...

All I have to say is "Praise the Lord" For Caleb small steps are BIG steps.