We had a meeting with Caleb's doctor last night and we feel much better. He told us that bacteria from infections do not show up in blood work right away. If they had done a blood culture on Caleb Sunday or Monday, the infection probably would not have shown up. He cannot tell us why blood work was not done Tuesday. He wasn't working then and he doesn't know why the other doctor made that decision.
I told him I just wanted Caleb to get to the point where is his continuing to improve without anymore set backs. The doctor said he is there! His jaundice (caused by the IV fluids) is less then 1/2 of what it was. His levels are all looking great.
The doctor told us Caleb has been a challenge. There are certain things they expect a 26/27 week preemie to go through. Caleb has been through all of it and then some.
The good news:
Caleb is on full feeds now. He is eating 110 ccs every 4 hours. His IV fluids are off. The doctor wants to pull Caleb's central line and get him off the respirator by Sunday or Monday.
They have not tapped Caleb’s head (to drain off the extra fluid) since Feb. 9. The doctor said that is very good. Caleb’s body is starting to absorb the extra fluid. If it continues to absorb the fluid, Caleb may not need a permanent shunt.
The wdoctor was pleased with the progress Caleb had made with his oral feedings before he got sick. Those will start back soon. After the infection is gone, we will be back on the home stretch.
Caleb is taking some of his own breaths now and he is starting to act like himself again.
I will add new pictures soon! Caleb is huge now! The last time they weighed him, he was 10 pounds, 4 ounces. He is full of chubby rolls. I can't help but to kiss his big cheeks and his big belly.
Please keep Caleb in your prayers and thoughts. We still have a long road.